Monday 17 November 2014

A New Frontier

Today's much needed brunch came from Frontier in Tollcross.

Got points for: being true to their ethos with their menu and decor
Lost points for: being really bloody cold inside




So I have to be honest, this blog is coloured by the fact that I was a little more hungover than ideal when we ate at Frontier yesterday morning. Having said that, Frontier is definitely a good place to go if you are hungover. The lighting was very low, there was no intrusive music (I could have done without the waiter repeatedly dropping the tin mugs though) and they serve American diner-style fare. Plus it's super close to my flat.*

*may be less of a factor if you don't live in my flat.

On the outside, Frontier is very unassuming (I thought it was a hairdresser for ages) and I would say the food is kinda the same. Whilst they certainly deliver on their diner-inspired offerings (Philly cheese steak sandwich, burgers, carnitas, baby back ribs), they don't deliver so much on quality and appearance.

Several of us opted for the buttermilk pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. Some elements were great: the bacon was streaky and crispy and mostly the pancakes were fluffy. I'd certainly rate them highly on taste. But other details were amiss.

Every plate had at least one burnt pancake and a few on the first one out were a bit cold. The maple was also more of a corn syrup, but there was plenty of it, which was very welcome. Although, it also seemed like the syrup was plentiful because the pancakes were pretty small. Yes, there was a stack of four or so, but they were only just about side-plate sized. It left a lot of empty space on the big tin plate. (What's with all the tin? I didn't know we'd gone camping.)

On our table the chosen alternative to pancakes was the brunch skillet: steak, onions, potatoes, eggs and raisin bread. It looked much heartier, overflowing from the edges of the skillet, and got positive 'mmm's of enjoyment from those who had it.

Oh, and we all enjoyed the huge mugs of bottomless coffee. Good call, Frontier. My chocolate milkshake was pleasant too. Even if it may not have been very chocolate-y, it passed the test of a good milkshake. According to my pal, the measure of this is the pull on your cheeks when you suck the shake up through the straw. A good milkshake will give your cheeks a work out, and these ones sure did.

So I'm pretty sure I'll be going back. I heard good things about the ribs and I liked the decor and atmosphere. It makes for a perfect Sunday brunch haunt. And everything is very reasonably priced indeed. The overall package works well, which is no surprise when you know it's the same great team behind Mum's Comfort Food.

Let's think of today as just a starting point. I'll try again next week. And hopefully then, the act of lifting the fork to my mouth will be less of a Herculean effort too...

Follow Frontier on Twitter
Like Frontier on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment