Sunday 12 July 2009

Good boy, Janet.

I have arrived!

We got the plane fine from Dubai and I think I essentially ate my way to NZ, watched a few films, paused in Melbourne, chatted to the lady next to me and tried to stop my knees cramping - I'm so short that my feet don't touch the floor of the plane if I'm sitting back in the seat, so it was surprisingly uncomfortable. The 12 hour leg was pretty tough going but I fell asleep for most of the 4 hours from Melbourne to Auckland, so that was okay.

Finally, after NZ's scary biosecurity scans (why would I have a raw chicken with me? Or soil?) I made it out the airport and it was lovely to see Rachel on the otherside - made the arrival in a far, far away land much less scary and made the vile, grey, very rainy weather far more bearable. An hour and a half later, down NZ's 'M1' motorway (a bit more like a dual carriageway, bless), having managed to stay awake I found myself in Hamilton, 4th largest city in NZ - tho by then it was dark, so I couldn't make out much. I met Nick, Rachel's husband, and 20-month-old JJ, who is possibly the most beautiful and cheery child ever - and I don't even like children. Having said hello, JJ went to bed and we had a nice dinner of moussaka before jet-lag/being the parent of a young child claimed us, and we too went to bed.

Today we all got up at reasonable times and went out for breakfast - apparently a typical thing to do, and very tasty it was too (good bacon, phew) - then to a farmers' market. It was bloody cold tho! Later Rachel, JJ and I did good tasks in 'The Warehouse' (it sells *everything*) getting cutlery and hangers for when I move in to halls tomorrow, and also a mobile (details below). Now I've been exchanging texts with Jamie (friend from Edinburgh also out here) and we're going to meet up for dinner tomorrow evening.

So all in all it's been rather good so far - having Rachel, Nick and JJ to stay with and hang out with is really lovely, just like being at home (with a small child tho, obv). The shower is amazing, the bed is a very comfortable double and JJ is a highly entertaining chap - I'm enjoying his little catchphrases: 'HOT TEA!' 'Good boy, Daddy. Good boy, JJ. Good boy, Mummy. Good boy, Janet' (who's the cleaning lady). If they all continue to be so nice I might have to pack in Auckland and just live here... We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Ciao! A x

PS my mobile number is +64211423945 but you can also Skype me - I'm 'thuggo17', or email aetbrewer@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment