Thursday 9 July 2009

T minus 10 hours 10 mins until departure

Fighting with iTunes to iSort all my iMusic for my long iJourney. In between, I've been using various media to learn about New Zealand, something I probably should have done 6 months ago. So:

Things I've just learnt about Auckland, New Zealand and the University:
1. Auckland is the 50th most expensive city in the world. London is 4th.
2. The university deems these relevant example expenses (there are $2.5 to £1):
-- meat pie $2.50–3.50
-- latte $3.50
-- chocolate brownie $2.50
-- bottle of Coca-cola (600mL) $2.40
3. New Zealand has the highest ratio of golf courses per capita in the world.
4. Auckland has two hills, not unlike Arthur's Seat and Carlton Hill. There is a main road called Prince's Street. It is also reputedly windy. Hmmm...
5. There are 4.2 million people in New Zealand (about 1 million fewer than Scotland) which is the roughly the same size as the UK or Japan.
6. On July 27th 1939 Auckland received its only recorded snowfall.

Know an interesting fact about my new home? Please share it!

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment